Simplicity 8656 date: 1969. View 1 Dress
Materials: 2 ½ yards poly chiffon, 1 yard acetate lining fabric, Broadcloth Remnants, 4 vintage buttons, 1 vintage 20” Black metal Zipper
I had decided to use synthetic red and black hounds tooth printed chiffon for this pattern, I liked the sheer sleeves but wanted to keep the body of the dress covered opposed to the illustration with a slip dress under it. Slightly more work appropriate.
I toyed with the idea of using black cotton broadcloth under the chiffon however it altered the coloration of the red in the hounds tooth so I ended up using a slightly lighter red colored acetate lining. Commonly I love a dress with structured fabric so the light weight of this garment was a departure from my common sewing ventures.
I love the stark white collar and cuffs on the look very mod era chic. However I did not like the white with my chosen fabric, thus the use of the black broadcloth. I elected to omit the interfacing as I did not want starchy cuffs, collar and neck facings on such a light dress.
I lucked out when I got to the zip! I found a black metal zipper in my stash and had planned on constructing it in standard center applied fashion (Railroad), however due to its pristine condition I did not want to hide it so I constructed it exposed.
On the cuffs from my vintage stash I found these 4 buttons that were affixed to a blank card backing (no brand). There were only four of them so I assumed it was meant to be.