I chose a vintage frock pattern in a fun mod design, Simplicity 7535. It had all I could ask for: color blocking... the upper dress front is cut of contrasting fabric in the third view and therefore limited fabric yardage requirements.
After a dry layout of out my pattern I realized I could stretch my fabric usage further if I blocked the back pieces too. I liked this as it also added back garment interest opposed to a basic flat dress back. I split my pattern back under the fish eye darts and attempted to meet the color block at the side seam. I will say that the matchup is not perfect but it works for me. I also elected to lengthen my sleeve to use up as much fabric as possible and also cause I like to hide my arms.
I did well with my MJH fabric and I love my pieces. And I would have to say that I used close to 96% of my purchased yardage. Not too shabby if I do say so myself.