July 31, 2013

Girl POP Butterick 5894

I am a lover of 1960's pop art; when I stumbled upon my fabric I thought the print was created in some polka dot Lichtenstein Warhol heaven. It is a shirting fabric; very light weight and semi sheer.

Needless to say I did not have a dress planned when making my fabric purchase. I was also reluctant to choose the pink over the green or vice versa. 

In the end I purchased a little bit of both and later decided to find a project where the two colored roses could live in harmony. When I found Butterick 5894 view B with the scalloped hem band the project fell into place.
My Solution for over coming the sheer factor was to line the dress in white cotton broadcloth. Which also added a bit of structure while still yielding a lovely breathable summer frock. 
 I made SO many pattern changes I had to remove 4 inches in length in total 2 inches above the waistline in the bodice and an additional 2 inches below the waist before the scalloped hem band. I had to adjust for square shoulders. And in retrospect I wish I had shaved down all of the joining seams of the skirt under the waistline to remove some of the bulk at my hip line in the dress.
I also elected to attach my scalloped hem band after I turned and flipped my dress lining as well has the hem. This is how my joining seam looked from the inside at the scallop:
By the end of my construction method of the pattern the only exposed seams inside my garment are the center back seam and the scalloped seam. And for finishing,  my edges are serged.

NOTE: I still do NOT understand my wireless remote timing and am very frustrated in my pics as you can see in my face. Maybe one of these days I will be able to take better pics. 

3 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.
Happy sewing!
Melody

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...