September 27, 2013

Update: Copy Cat Valentino

Spring 2011 Valentino
Black Tri-Lace Voulant-Sleeve Dress
Earlier in the month I shared with you my work on my second copy cat dress (here) inspired by the Lux Valentino number above. 
As I write this post we are four days prior to the deadline for the Copy Cat Challenge and I am waiting for 3 yards of satin bias binding to arrive in my mailbox to complete the hem. To date, I have purchased 12 yards of the bias binding. In most cases I would have made my own but between the my last bias heavy project and the sheer amount of work required my this gorgeous dress I thought I was getting ahead of the game by purchasing the notion. Somehow every time I turned around I was adding more bias binding to areas of the garment and thus purchasing more yardage. 

For now, let me show you the construction details. 
Skirt lace basted to silk underlining
My main dress fabrics are laces and a pale pink silk for the underlining both from Mood (purchased years prior). The lace chosen for the skirt is a large open lace, naturally the lace wants to hang away and droop from the underlining unless it is basted together causing both fabrics to act as one. I basted using silk thread and globs of Thread Heaven. 

Adding more satin bias binding 

For the armscye and sleeve seams I decided that the best method of seam finishing would be to use rayon seam binding. I stitched the seams and attached the binding in the same step. 
 Next I trimmed down the seam allowance. 
 Then turned the rayon seam binding enclosing the raw edges of the allowances and stitched to secure. 
The end result was a beautiful inner garment finish. 

I was concerned about adding my zip to such a delicate fabric, I used my selvage scraps from the silk underlining to act as an inner stabilizer at the zipper insertion. 

My final fitting was heavenly. 
And my lace placement, divine. Now if I could just finish the hem and show you the dress! 


Side note: About half way through the project my ironing board cover died.  In a resourceful state of mind, I drafted my own ironing board cover. I traced the board and added fold over plus seam allowance, created a tunnel for a tie to cinch to the board, added elastic straps and backed it with felt. I have to say it is better than any other cover I have ever bought and can not foresee buying another one. 
Have you ever made your own ironing board cover do you love it? 

10 comments:

  1. From what I can see your dress is absolutely gorgeous....Exceptional work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Necie, it was a lot of work and I am glad to see it come together.

      Delete
  2. Looks like it is coming along great and you have sewn the lave impeccably :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoe! It is so close to complete!

      Delete
  3. Your dress looks beautiful, and beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic! I'm excited for you when the hem gets finished. :) I really like how you used the bias tape on the armsceyes. I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes try the sleeve binding it is perfect especially for the raglan style. I finished the hem in the nick of time!

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful dress and what great construction. An amazing job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.
Happy sewing!
Melody

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...